Want to start your career in tech?
Join our 8-month training program to become a software tester.
The PLATO Software Tester Training program consists of five months of in-class training and a three-month paid internship. Successful graduates are offered a full-time apprentice position with full benefits and paid vacation. Upon completion, they join the team as junior software testers.
Our PLATO training program began in 2015 and has since trained more than 300 Indigenous software testers, many of whom still work for the company today in and around their home communities.
The Train-and-Employ Model
General Application Form
Sign up to be notified of upcoming classes.
Meet the PLATO Calgary Class of 2020
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Indigenous Software Tester Training program?
This program provides five months of in-class instruction and three months of paid internship after which graduates are guaranteed full-time, well-paying jobs as software testers.
What is software testing?
Testing is about quality assurance — verifying the degree to which programs do what they are supposed to do and that they don’t do what they are not supposed to do.
Brand new to software testing? That’s okay! Our course will teach you everything you need to know. And if you, like so many of us, spend a lot of your time on a smartphone, you will likely be more experienced than you think!
What career paths are possible?
- Junior Software Tester (Manual Functional Testing)
- Intermediate Software Tester (3-5 years)
- Senior Tester (10+ years)
- Specializations: Automation Tester, Performance Tester, Security Tester
- Opportunity to pursue other career paths in IT from within
- IT Leadership/Management (e.g. office manager, delivery manager, account manager, etc.)
- Other positions such as: Project Manager, Business Analyst, HR, IT, accounting, operations, sales executive, etc.
What is it like to work for PLATO?
With artists, puzzlers, runners, gamers, and everything in between, our diverse group of employees are what makes PLATO who we are: a knowledgeable team of software testing experts who are approachable and reliable.
- Comprehensive benefits package including health & dental coverage, fitness credit, and RRSP Matching
- Work recognition and milestone awards
- Flexible work environment: remote/in-person
- On-going professional support and mentorship
- Advanced training opportunities and certifications
Who is the ideal PLATO training candidate?
This program is for people who are:
- Critical Thinkers
- Problem Solvers
- Detail Oriented
- Motivated to Learn
- Excited about a career in Information Technology
Hear from some of our students about their own PLATO Testing training experience.
“Working with PLATO has greatly impacted my life. I am starting my career in a forever growing IT world and I also feel more involved with my culture by working here”
– Shawnee Polchis-Lanteigne, PLATO Fredericton Graduate
“I have always had an interest in the IT field, and I just went for it. Right now I’m working on an app for credit unions, and I test the app to make sure that it functions properly.”
– Candice Tangie, PLATO Sault Ste. Marie Graduate